In the twentieth century after the birth of our Lord, during the episcopacy of Archbishop James Quigley, St. Gertrude Parish was established to serve Catholics living in the North Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago.
Through the efforts of six determined families and Father Peter Shewbridge the parish community grew in faith and in numbers.
In those days, Sunday mass was offered in Hayt School auditorium. With few sidewalks, the people felt the burden of carrying the altar and other necessities back and forth, week after week. In March of 1912, a temporary, unheated frame church was built. As legend has it, it was often so cold that Father Shewbridge had to place his hands around the cruets to thaw out the contents before he could pour the water and wine at the offertory.
By the end of 1912, a 3-story combination church and school was built. The walls that separated the first floor classrooms were rolled up on Sunday for Masses, and rolled down during the week for school. These classrooms are still in use as the school cafeteria of the Primary School Campus of Northside Catholic Academy.
From the very beginning the school was staffed by Sisters of Charity of The Blessed Virgin Mary better known as BVMs. Their dedicated service provided an excellent education for the children of the parish for many decades. The building that is now called the Ministry Center was built as a convent to provide housing for the Sisters.
Through the years the parish continued to flourish and plans were made to build a new church. The limestone had already been cut and paid for when the stock market crashed in 1929.
Because pledges by parishioners were meant to pay for the interior work, Father Bernard Heeney wanted to halt construction. However, the people of St. Gertrude acted with a spirit of determination and saw in through.
Some parishioners were moved to offer their wedding rings and other jewelry to be melted down to fashion a chalice to be used at Mass. With such personal sacrifice, St. Gertrude Church became one of the few buildings in Chicago to be completed during the Great Depression.
Over the years St Gertrude continued to grow and serve the families of Edgewater. In the mid-1960’s, the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, ushered in sweeping changes to the liturgy and invited the laity to a whole new level of involvement. Pastors Gerald Kealy and then Lawrence Lynch helped guide the parish into this new era, establishing the foundations for many forms of lay involvement.
By 1984, when Father Bill Kenneally became pastor, the dramatic changes within Church and society brought new questions about how to be parish. New neighbors brought a diversity of race, ethnicity and sexual orientation that enlivened the conversation. Innovative responses to our emerging identity included the creation of Heart To Heart out reach to our seniors, the gym mass, The 9:30 Mass on Sheridan Road, Northside Catholic Academy, and the 2007 parish Synod.
In 2012 with Pastor Dominic Grassi the parish celebrated 100 years of service in Edgewater and surrounding neighborhoods with cabaret nights and special Masses.
The spirit of determination lives on as current parishioners have answered the call for funds necessary for the maintenance of our buildings by pledging over 1.5 million dollars in the Centennial Capital campaign.
The funds collected so far have allowed us to install a new sound system, complete tuck-pointing the bell tower for the first time in our history, improve our electrical systems, improve external handrails, add handrails to the altar area and refinish our Church doors. As the Capital Campaign pledge period draws to a close the proceeds will be used to provide the financial support necessary for the structural improvements to the Ministry Center which is so much a part of our parish campus.
As a parish, Our Parish, we give thanks for those upon whose shoulders we stand, facing the challenges of a wounded, yet God-infused world with the same living faith which has been the hallmark of St. Gertrude Parish these past 100 plus years.
As a family of faith we continue to look to find innovative ways of responding to the ongoing needs of our dynamic and evolving community. Together we continue to strive to live the truth of our motto – All are Welcome.